It's May, so we're about halfway through the Spring season. Throughout Philadelphia, temperatures are warming, days are growing longer and we're getting more days of full sun. It's a perfect time to remind yourself and your loved ones of the importance of properly protecting your skin when you're out enjoying the sunshine. The experienced oculo-facial surgeons at Morgenstern Center do perform surgical repair of skin affected by skin cancer, and you can see the results possible at the gallery of skin cancer before-and-after.
Failing to protect your face from sun exposure can lead to:
- Increased risk of skin cancer from UV exposure
- Premature aging on your face, including wrinkles, fine lines, sagging and loss of volume
- Increased risk of cataracts and skin cancer around the eyes
Here are our top tips for protecting your skin from excessive UV exposure:
- Wear a sunscreen that provides broad spectrum protection (protects against both UVA and UVB rays)
- Wear UV-blocking sunglasses, which is essential to protecting your eyes and the surrounding area
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat, which provides additional protection for your face and neck
- Seek shade when possible and desirable
- Wear clothing that protects you from the sun, such as long sleeves, or tops that at least cover your shoulders and other high-exposure areas
To learn about the skin care services at Morgenstern Center for Orbital and Facial Plastic Surgery, please call our office at (610) 687.8771. We serve Philadelphia, The Main Line, King of Prussia, Wayne and all of the neighboring tri-state areas.