Bruising and swelling after any surgical procedure is normal and expected. But at the Morgenstern Center for Orbital and Facial Plastic Surgery, our experienced greater Philadelphia facial surgeons Dr. Ken Morgenstern and Dr. Joseph Giacometti provide state-of-the-art-care and techniques to reduce your discomfort and downtime after your procedure. For our surgical patients, we recommend an optional vitamin regimen and Arnica to minimize post-operative bruising and swelling. To schedule a consultation, please call us at (610) 687.8771.
Minimizing Post-Surgical Bruising and Swelling with Vitamins
To minimize bruising and swelling after your plastic surgery procedure, Dr. Morgenstern and our staff recommend following an effective vitamin regimen one week prior to your surgery and for at least one week afterward. Vitamins that can boost your strength and help your body cope with surgery are:
- Vitamin A-Beta Carotene: 25,000 I.U. per day to enhance immunity. Take once daily with dinner.
- Bromelain: 2400 G.D.U. or 500 mg two times per day to prevent bruising and relieve swelling associated with surgery.
- Vitamin C: 1000 – 2,000 mg per day. Vitamin C is essential to wound healing. Take 2 daily, one at breakfast and one at dinner.
- Zinc (Chelated): 30 mg per day for wound healing and to enhance immunity. Take one daily with dinner.
Please ask us if you have any questions about adopting a vitamin regimen before and after your procedure. You should take these vitamins with food. These supplements are available for purchase at the Morgenstern Center, and you can also find them at health food stores, GNC stores and a variety of other shops.
Reducing Post-Surgical Bruising with Arnica
If you would like to do all that you can to minimize bruising, Dr. Morgenstern and our staff recommend using Arnica. This herb has been used for a variety of medical purposes since the 1500s. It is commonly used in homeopathy to soothe muscle aches and pains, reduce inflammation and minimize bruising.
You can find Arnica in a number of over-the-counter products, including creams, tablets and gels. At the Morgenstern Center, we offer two forms of Arnica available for purchase at our office:
- Arnica 12C Pellets: start taking 2 days prior to surgery and continue for approximately 2 weeks post operatively. Take as directed (5 pellets 3 times/day).
- Arnica Cream: start post operatively and apply to the area of bruising as directed by our surgeons. This is not a substitute for your antibiotic ointment which is to be applied to your surgical incisions. The cream is not to be placed on open incisions at any time.
We are committed to helping you look and feel your absolute best. Using advanced techniques and technologies, and recommending post-operative aftercare measures are just a couple of the ways Dr. Morgenstern brings you state-of-the-art care and great results.
If you are interested in Philadelphia, Wayne or King of Prussia facial plastic surgery from a caring, compassionate and skilled facial surgeon, please contact Morgenstern Center for Orbital and Facial Plastic Surgery to schedule a consultation.